Our team at Fairchild Medical Center would like to thank our many community members who have reached out to inquire about making homemade cloth face coverings for use here at the hospital by our doctors, nurses and clinical team members. We are deeply touched by your generosity and support. Your compassion and commitment to helping us while we work hard to help others is greatly appreciated. If you are able to make homemade masks, we ask that you utilize the pattern we have provided below.
Homemade face coverings are currently being utilized by some of our team members, only when they are not caring for patients in isolation, procedures or surgeries. In those cases, hospital issued PPE MUST be worn. We are also accepting donations of unopened boxes of medical grade masks or gloves at this time. Thank you for embracing us as we wrap our arms around this new fight to keep our community healthy.
• 100% Cotton fabric (that has been pre-washed hot to prevent future shrinking)
• 1/8” or 1/4” flat elastic or rope elastic.
• Pins for holding fabric together while sewing
• Sewing machine or serger.
Start by cutting fabric into 9” x 6“ pieces. Each face covering will require two 9” x 6“ pieces of fabric. Cut two pieces of elastic 7" long for each face covering.
1. Put right sides of fabric together
2. Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner, stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
3. Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
4. Now sew across the top of the face covering to the next corner. Again put an elastic with the edge out.
5. Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
6. Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop, cut the thread. Turn inside out.
7. Pin 3 tucks on each side of the face covering. Make sure the tucks are the same direction.
8. Sew around the edge of the face covering twice.
THIS VIDEO IS A HELPFUL RESOURCE
Please deliver completed face coverings in a closed plastic bag (like a Ziplock) or closed plastic box to the screening desk inside the front doors of Fairchild Medical Center or by mail to: 444 Bruce Street, Yreka, California 96097.
Fairchild Medical Center will launder all face coverings prior to use by any team members and face coverings are laundered every day.
PRINTABLE DIRECTIONS HERE
If you have questions about how you can help or require further details regarding donations, please contact Elizabeth Langford at (530)841-7755 or via email at email@example.com
Please click here to complete our donation form if you are working on face coverings for our team!
Fairchild Medical Center provides free health information to our community through a program called Advice Nurse.
Through Advice Nurse you may receive information about an illness or health care concern. We hope you find this service helpful.
PARTNERSHIP PATIENTS PLEASE CALL:
Fairchild Medical Clinic
Fairchild Medical Center Patient Safety
Fairchild Medical Clinic
Dietary Nutrition Therapy